At approximately 9:30 p.m. Saturday evening March 20, 2021 Brownfield Fire and Rescue was dispatched out to 1630 Tahoka Rd about a possible electrical fire. After arriving to the location, the fire department put out a fire from the electrical/breaker box. The fire department. determined the fire was out. The electricity was turned completely off for the remainder of the evening and the occupants of the house would stay in a local hotel/motel.
Approximately at 1:55 a.m. Sunday morning March 22, 2021 the BFD was again called out to the location, 1630 Tahoka Rd., of the electrical fire from the night before. This time the back portion of the residence was on fire, which is where the breaker box was located that caught fire previously. Brownfield Police Dept. dispatch called out five times to local fire departments to receive help dealing with how large the fire was.
According to records, the owners of the property are Barry and Marsha Wiseman of Brownfield. Barry Wiseman wrote on his personal Facebook page about the fire stating, ” Fire department put out the fire, checked upstairs and decided it was indeed out. We opened all the doors and windows to air out smoke.” The Wiseman family then went to a hotel, but around 2:30 a.m. recieved a call from BPD dispatch. “About 2:30, police dispatcher called my cell and said the house was on fire again.” Barry stated.
The family did lose the life of two dogs due to smoke inhalation. One dog was able to be saved, and the family does not know where their cats are. Barry added to his Facebook post stating, “Again, we are all OK. The sun will rise in a few hours. The dust will blow. Life will go on. Prayers will be greatly appreciated.”
BFD Chief Dennis Rowe believes the fire originated at the breaker box which had caught fire the night before. Rowe said, “We’re pretty sure that is the cause, but we’ll continue to investigate to make sure.”