Super Bowl Sunday is here! So, what are you going to serve? Here are a few more healthy variations on favorites.
Smoky Black-Bean Salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo
- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Sweet-potato chips, for serving
- Step 1Whisk together chipotle, lime juice, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and onion. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in beans and cilantro. Serve with chips.
- 1 roasted sweet potato, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Generous pinch cinnamon
- Generous pinch kosher salt
- Pomegranate arils, sliced almonds, and toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, for serving
- Step 1Combine sweet potato flesh (about 1 cup), almond milk, almond butter, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve immediately with pomegranate arils, almonds, and coconut flakes or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Slow-Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup hot-pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
- 8 hamburger buns, for serving
- Pickled vegetables, for serving
- Step 1Preheat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Step 2In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add half the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring once, until meat is golden brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to the slow cooker, leaving as much oil behind as possible. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Step 3Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and 1/4 cup water to skillet. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from bottom with a spoon, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the slow cooker and toss with chicken.
- Step 4Add crushed tomatoes, hot-pepper sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, and molasses to slow cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is very tender, 4 hours (or on low for 8 hours).
- Step 5Transfer chicken to a large plate. Using two forks, shred chicken; return to sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on buns, with pickled vegetables on the side.