Dr. Barbara ten Brink, great granddaughter of Joseph T. and Laura Hamilton, donated a new sculpture to Hamilton Park. The sculpture, Ready to Fly, is made of granite harvested in Cerrillos, New Mexico, and was driven to Brownfield by the artist, Tom Klemm. Pictured are Dr. ten Brink, great, great grandson Samuel ten Brink, and Mr. Klemm.
The City of Brownfield Parks and Recreation Department assisted in the installation of the sculpture. The Hamilton Park is located at the junction between the Lubbock Road and the Levelland Highway.
The Hamilton family has a long history in Terry County and in Brownfield. Choc Hamilton came to Terry County in 1892 when Choc’s dad filed for homestead on some land about four miles northeast of what would become Brownfield. Choc met Clemmie Adams, daughter of Horace and Mary Frances Adams.
Choc and Clemmie married in 1915 and obtained a half-section of land on their own. In 1917, the couple built their home. Choc and Clemmie soon had four children.
The Hamiltons lived northeast of Brownfield when the telephone came to town. The telephone company agreed to let Choc tie on to the line if he would run his own line. Choc used existing fence post to tie up the line. Quite often, the Hamiltons would find themselves without service, as an unknowing person would have cut some line to tie up livestock. Neighbors came from miles around to use the Hamilton phone.
Choc died in 1941 after an illness. Later Clemmie and baby of the family Irene “Sugar” moved into town.
Clemmie managed well all that Choc had started. She died in 1987 at the age of 92. The land still remains in the family and has been in the Hamilton family possession for well over 100 years.
The Hamilton children all grew up in or around Brownfield and are honored to continue to recognize Brownfield as their home base.