TownTalk News received the following Press Release from Game Warden Aaron Sims.
About Operation Dry Water:
- Operation Dry Water heightened awareness and enforcement weekend is June 30 – July 2, 2017.
- Operation Dry Water is a national awareness and enforcement campaign focused on reducing the number of alcohol – and drug- related accidents and fatalities and fostering a stronger, more visible deterrent to alcohol and drug use on the water.
- Operation Dry Water is coordinated by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), in partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard as well as local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Agencies from all 56 U.S. states, trusts and territories are expected to participate in Operation Dry Water 2017 and in the ODW 2017 heightened awareness and enforcement weekend, June 30 – July 2.
- Launched in 2009 by NASBLA in partnership with the United States Coast Guard, Operation Dry Water has been a highly successful campaign, drawing public attention to the dangers of boating under the influence (BUI) of alcohol and drugs.
- Since the inception of the Operation Dry Water Campaign in 2009, law enforcement officers have removed 2,520 BUI operators from the nation’s waterways and made contact with over 860,400 boaters during the annual three-day weekend. The campaign continues to make a significant impact on boater safety and spreading the message of the danger of boating under the influence.
- Operation Dry Water weekend is held annually near the Fourth of July holiday, a holiday known for increased boaters on the waters where alcohol use is prevalent, as are subsequent boating accidents and fatalities.
- Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; where the primary cause was known, it was listed as the leading factor in 15% of deaths according to U.S. Coast Guard Recreational Boating Statistics 2016.
- The Operation Dry Water outreach and awareness portion of the campaign is in effect year-round. Through the outreach efforts of NASBLA, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the participating law enforcement agencies nationwide, Operation Dry Water focuses on spreading awareness of the danger of boating under the influence as well as changing the cultural acceptance of drinking and boating.