Everyone loves biscuits. Mmm, hot biscuits with butter melting, oozing into the fluffy delight. So good. Add some grape or strawberry jam and that is that. Breakfast is served. Or lunch. Or brunch. Truth is, for many warm biscuits are great any time of the day or night.
But why stop with simple biscuits? Why not, instead as some total pizazz to the biscuits in your life? Why not add fruit into the mix for a fantastic tooth-fruity biscuit that is sure to put a smile on early morning, arm stretching, yawning loved one’s faces?
Can’t think of a reason so check out this Tooty-Fruity Biscuits Recipe.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, frozen
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted, salted butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries, blueberries, or other fruit*
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (chilled)
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Using a rimmed baking sheet, either apply non-stick cooking spray or baking paper. Grate the frozen butter and toss with the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Chill 10 minutes.
2. Using the butter mixture, add the heavy cream, stir 10 times. Add the fruit and stir 5 times to make a loose, flaky dough.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, then gently knead 3 to 4 times. Lightly sprinkle flour on top.
4. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Fold the dough in half so short ends meet. Repeat rolling and folding four times.
5. Roll the dough to 1-inch thickness. Cut with a round cutter and place on baking sheet. Re-roll dough scraps as needed.
6. Bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes until light brown. Brush the warm biscuits with melted butter and serve.
Final Step: VERY Important
Watch your family closely so that they do not over eat. Eating too many Tooty-Fruity Biscuits may cause abdominal swelling and sleepiness. In other words…enjoy.